Without a personal identity number in Sweden

If you want to stay in Sweden for more than three months, you need, according to EU law, to either work or have enough money to support yourself and have comprehensive health insurance. In some EU countries you have to register with the authorities, but not in Sweden.

If you move to Sweden from abroad and plan to stay here for one year or more, you should normally be registered here. Being registered in Sweden means that you get a Swedish personal identity number and your address is registered. In addition, your eventual marital status and your children are registered. To become registered in Sweden you must sign up by visiting the Swedish Tax Agency's (Skatteverket) office. It is, however, possible to have the right to reside in Sweden without having a personal identity number.

What to do if you run into problems due to not having a Swedish personal identity number

If you live in Sweden without a Swedish personal identity number, it may happen that you run into problems. Here is a list of situations where a Swedish personal identity number can be requested of you and suggestions on what you can do.

Opening a bank account

Most banks have an obligation to allow you to open a bank account, unless there are specific reasons against it, according to the law on deposit insurance (lag (1995:1571) om insättningsgaranti 11§d).

Seek employment

EU citizens have the right to seek employment and work in Sweden. At the website for the Swedish Public Employment Service  (Arbetsförmedlingen) is the "Platsbanken" e-service, in which available jobs are listed and job seekers can post their CVs. EU citizens also have the right to register as unemployed. This means that you, together with the Public Employment Agency, make a plan on how to find work. When you do this the Agency will help you receive a co-ordination number from the Swedish Tax Agency.

You can contact the Sweden's Public Employment Agency for more information and advice.

Work in Sweden

As an EU citizen, if you are not registered, but you are staying in Sweden during a period of six months or longer, and you are working the whole time or parts of that time, you should apply to the Swedish Tax Agency for paying tax (preliminary tax). At the same time as you apply for paying tax, the Swedish Tax Agency will give you a co-ordination number (if you don't already have one).

Learning Swedish

Sign up for the programme called Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) in your municipality. Explain that also a person who do not have a personal identity number is entitled to attend the SFI programme if they have the right to reside in Sweden (skollagen (2010:800), chapter 22, §13 and chapter 29, §2).

Having your child attend school

Contact your municipality and refer to that children with the right to reside in Sweden have the right to education here (skollagen (2010:800), chapter 7, 2 and 3§§).

Registering your car

Apply for registration of origin using this form at the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportsyrelsen). You will then get a coordination number. You also have to attach a copy of your passport or national ID-card.

Getting medical treatment when you are in Sweden temporarily

Use your European Health Insurance Card. Your home country will then pay the bill. If you do not have a European Health Insurance card you should apply for one at your national authority.

Getting medical treatment when you are living in Sweden

Without a Swedish personal identity number, you should refer to Hälso- och sjukvårdslagen 8 chapter 2 §. According to it, the County Council shall provide good treatment to those who, according to EU law, are entitled to benefits in Sweden. You can apply for a certificate called intyg om rätt till vård, form FK5435, at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

Register for social insurance in Sweden

If you have children
If you have children you may have the right to family benefits in Sweden. You should therefore register with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

If you do not have children
If you want to apply for benefits, certificates or the European Health Insurance Card you should use the forms available at the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). You do not need to register beforehand to be eligible for these benefits. As you apply to the Social Insurance Agency you will be registered automatically.

Are you still encountering problems? Contact SOLVIT!

If the suggestions above do not resolve your problem, or if you have a similar problem with a Swedish agency, authority, county administrative board or municipality, you can report it to SOLVIT.

More help

Your Europe
This site is for European citizens and their families, to know their rights and to find practical tips to help move around the EU (European Commission).

Network in all EU countries that free of charge helps citizens and businesses with solutions to problems with their EU rights.

The Swedish Migration Agency´s website
For EU citizens working, studying or living in Sweden.

Work in Sweden
Information about working in Sweden (Swedish Institute).

The European job mobility portal.

Konsument Europa
Information and advice when buying goods and services cross-border within the EU (The European Network of Consumer Centres - Swedish Centre).

The e-justice portal
Information on justice systems and improving access to justice throughout the EU, in 23 languages.

National Board of Trade, P.O. Box 6803, SE-113 86 Stockholm. 
Visiting Address: Drottninggatan 89. 
Phone: +46 8 690 48 00     Fax: +46 8 30 67 59

E-mail: kommersk...@kommers.se

About Cookies